- You are here:
What is YouthSAID?
YouthSAID is a networking group run by youth, for youth. It was created in 2010 to give youth in Halton the opportunity to speak freely on their issues or concerns and advocate for change for all youth.
To positively affect the Halton CAS youth in care by making their voices heard so they can flourish in an environment that is condusive to bringing out their full potential
Here are just a few activites the YouthSAID group has been involved in:
- Participate on Crown Ward Educational Championship team (CWECT)
- Have a voice at the provincial level by participating on advocacy group run by Ontario Association of Children’s Aid Societies
- Assisted in planning annual Lead Your Way Conference (2012, 2011, 2012)
- Attended Youth Leaving Care Hearings at Queen’s Park
- Held Free Hugs Day in Oakville (June 2012)
- Planned first ever Grade River Zone Retreat (summer 2011) at Emerald Lake
- Attended Annual MPP Briefing Day at Queen’s Park (May 2011) to present youth perspective and concerns directly to Halton’s MPPs
- Hosted Halton CASs first ever Children and Youth in Care Day (May 14, 2013)
Why Should Youth Participate in YouthSAID?
Youth will clearly benefit from being a part of the YouthSAID networking group by:
- having an opportunity to meet other youth in care who share similar experiences;
- learning leadership and advocacy skills that they will be able to include on their resume;
- contributing to their volunteer hours required to graduate high school;
- gaining opportunities to take part in larger, interagency meetings and events; and
- influencing the service that is provided to youth in care.
Interested in joining YouthSAID?
If you are interested in joining the YouthSAID group, click here and we’ll be sure to get back to you!